Francesco Vecchiacchi is one of the precursors of radio bridges and television.
Beginning in 1932, he directed the Magneti Marelli radio laboratory in Milan, and in 1937 he chaired the Electrical Communications Department at the Politecnico di Milano. In 1939 he contributed to the creation of the first multi-channel radio link: Milan-Cimone-Terminillo-Rome. That same year, he realized the first Italian television broadcast, with shots in the studio, outdoors, and live.
He was also among the scholars who realized the first Italian radar (G.U.F.O.), installed in 1941 on the battleship Vittorio Veneto.
In 1952 he built the first microwave radio bridge between Turin and Milan for the television service, demonstrating the possibility of extending the network throughout Italy. Subsequently the Milan-Palermo bridge was realized, designed by Vecchiacchi and built after his death.
Between 1938 and 1939, under the direction of Vecchiacchi, the Magneti Marelli laboratories at Sesto San Giovanni built this television camera for the first italian broadcasting experiments, making use of patents of and collaboration by RCA and Vladimir Zworykin. The scene shot is projected on the electronic tube, which converts the light signal into an electrical signal. After being suitably processed, this is broadcast via radio. The scene can only be shot live.
This device, developed by Vladimir Zworykin and patented in 1934, was utilized by Vecchiacchi in the Magneti Marelli laboratories for realization of the Milanese company’s first television camera in 1939. The shooting tube is made up of a glass ampoule under vacuum, which contains the hot-filament electronic “cannon” and a screen made from a “mosaic” of photosensitive cells.
The technology for electronic television developed in italy beginning in the mid-1930s at the hands of three large companies: Magneti Marelli (RCA system), Allocchio Bacchini (Telefunken system), and Safar (Telefunken derivative system). This model, the RV 300, was built in 1938 by Magneti Marelli on Francesco Vecchiacchi’s design, in collaboration with RCA. The cathode ray tube is oriented vertically and the images are reflected by a mirror.